Monday, October 11, 2004

My Conversation with the Checker at Target

Today I was in Target buying razor blades (goatee needs a little upkeep), and I was surprised to find that when she rang me up the total came to exactly $9.00.
"Nine even, huh? Betcha don't see that too often," I said, somewhat blithely.
"No, not too often," said Amy, happy (I like to think) to be stirred from her routine.
"Well, you check out a fair number of people every day... approximately how often?"
"I don't know; two, maybe three times a day."
"How bout that?" I said.
"If that," she said, clearly giving the matter some more thought. "And what's really weird is when you get two, sometimes three people in a row with the exact same total. Not shopping together or anything."
"Okay, that is weird"
"I mean, it's not like it's the same stuff they're buying or anything... really freaky deaky, I'm saying."
"Man, that is wild"
"Yeah huh," she said nodding while bagging the blades. "Have a nice day!"
"You too, have a good one!" I said, waving.

Yep, really freaky deaky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home