Saturday, October 28, 2006

Der Amerikanische Soldat

I watched this movie for the third time last night. After reading the IMDb review by Mr. Planktonrules, I think he's right about a couple of things. It is pretty amateurish. Some camera shots are right out of a sixties TV crime drama like Mannix or The Mod Squad. But some others are pretty well done, and I'd still give RWF an A for effort, and then maybe a C- for execution. Or a D. Who cares about grading movies, anyway? I think it's a dumb practice, even if I used to do it myself. Mr. Planktonrules is also right about the truly awful suicide scene (by future director Margarethe von Trotta), and the whole thing certainly does look like a rip-off of Goddard's Alphaville, which, as he says, is a pretty overrated movie itself. So why did I watch it yet a third time? I don't know. I really don't. It really is a mystery to me, too. Never again!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rufus McCain said...

You should of watched Ordet again instead.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Quin Finnegan said...

I thought exactly the same thing as I wrote the last words of this post!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home