Monday, October 11, 2004

Everybody's Gettin' Lined Up

at the Barbershop. One funny movie. A little on the sentimental side, maybe, and the plot's a little hackneyed, but the characters are great. Played by a great cast. Ice Cube is solid as usual, but Cedric the Entertainer, Michael Early and Troy Garity... actually everybody's great. Can't wait to see the sequel. B+

What I really found astonishing was the following scene, found in chapter 13 on the DVD, as everyone in the shop is talking about the news of a recently stolen ATM machine.

CUSTOMER I'm telling you, they got about 15 or 20 G's in that ATM.
EDDIE $15,000?
JIMMY I read that those machines are worth more than the money in them. There may even be a reward.
CALVIN A reward for a ATM machine?
EVE I wish the money in it was mine.
ISAAC If that was me I'd use that money, I'd take my girl out to a real nice dinner, like Red Lobster.
DINKA Oh, see, now that's upscale.
JIMMY Red Lobster is the IHOP of shellfish. That is not upscale.
ISAAC I don't hate cheese toast just 'cause I'm eating scampis and shrimps and scallops and shit.
JIMMY You know what man? You are truly ignorant. You probably don't what a scallp is. You know a scallop, it ain't even a shellfish. Did you know that?
EVE Do you know you get on my nerves?

Now the thing of it is, just an hour or so before I sat down to watch this movie I was enjoying a plate of "Lobster Chops" at the Red Lobster. Which is a kind of seafood shishkabob... with scallops.

Freaky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home