Monday, October 11, 2004

Wheat That Springeth Green I

More freaky deaky. Over the last couple of days I've been reading J.F. Powers' last novel, Wheat That Springeth Green. It's a great novel, and hopefully I'll be able to make more substantive comments on it later. What I'd like to mention now is a sequence in the novel in which the main character, Father Joe, is having all sorts of trouble having a new bed delivered for the new curate finally assigned to his parish. It's an okay sequence, certainly not the best in the book (so far), but what was really strange was that I went to pick up a new bed this weekend. And there were problems in getting this order together - ended up making four trips back and forth to the store before everything was straightened out. Not the same problems that Father Joe has in the novel, but enough to warrant that spooky feeling of parallelism I sometimes get when I'm in the midst of a great book. And it is a great novel. Walker Percy great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home