Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Modern Times

What can anybody say about the new Dylan album? A lot of people are tired of hearing superlatives, especially those who don't care for him, or are familiar with only Like a Rolling Stone and Blood on the Tracks. Well, you either get it or you don't. If you don't, no big deal. It's only music, after all. If you're more favorably disposed, nothing anybody writes is going to mean a thing while you're listening. Here's a few of my favorite lyrics after a few listens:
from Thunder On The Mountain

Gonna raise me an army, some tough sons of bitches
I'll recruit my army from the orphanages
I been to St. Herman's church, said my religious vows
I've sucked the milk out of a thousand cows

I got the porkchops, she got the pie
She ain't no angel and neither am I
Shame on your greed, shame on your wicked schemes
I'll say this, I don't give a damn about your dreams

from Spirit On The Water

They brag about your sugar
Brag about it all over town
Put some sugar in my bowl
I feel like laying down

fromWhen The Deal Goes Down

Well, the moon gives light and it shines by night
When I scarcely feel the glow
We learn to live and then we forgive
O'r the road we're bound to go
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours
That keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies
And I'll be with you when the deal goes down

from Workingman's Blues #2

Well, they burned my barn, and they stole my horse
I can't save a dime
I got to be careful, I don't want to be forced
Into a life of continual crime
I can see for myself that the sun is sinking
How I wish you were here to see
Tell me now, am I wrong in thinking
That you have forgotten me?

from Nettie More

Well, the world of research has gone berserk
Too much paperwork
Albert's in the graveyard, Frankie's raising hell
I'm beginning to believe what the scriptures tell

I've gone where the Southern crosses The Yellow Dog
Get away from all these demagogues
And these bad luck women stick like glue
It's either one or the other or neither of the two

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home